Skip to main content

Greetings from Baquer


Image result for baquer namazi









Tom McDermott <mcdermott.tom@gmail.com>

Mon, Dec 31, 2018, 1:26 PM
to UNICEF

Dear friends,


At this time when we are celebrating the end of 2018 and exchanging new year's greetings for 2019, I thought it appropriate to share these greetings to all of us from Baquer Namazi.


As you know, Baquer remains at home under house arrest and on a temporary 'medical furlough' while serving his 10 year prison sentence in Iran. This 'furlough' is currently under review by the authorities, who may at some point decide to return him once again to prison. His younger son, Siamak, remains in Evin Prison, now in his third year of a similar sentence.


Earlier this month Ute Deseniss-Gros reminded me that we had not sent greetings to Baquer on December 3rd, his 82nd birthday. I then wrote to Baquer via his eldest son in Dubai. A couple weeks later I received this response from Baquer. His response to me was cut short - perhaps due to action by censors - but included were copies of materials he has sent out to supporters of his 2011 proposal titled, "Children as Zones of Peace in Middle East Areas of Strife and Conflict." Several of you will already have received these materials from Baquer via his elder son. For the rest of us they form good thought pieces as we enter the new year.


Fouad recently reminded all of us of several important anniversaries coming up in 2019, in addition to the 30th anniversary of the CRC. It is clear that Baquer, despite all and his family continue to endure, is still thinking deeply about the CRC and its implications for the world.


If you would like to respond to Baquer or to send him greetings, please send them to me. I will be happy to send them on. Given how tenuous is his 'furlough' and how sensitive the authorities are to communications to or from him, please do not try to send any messages directly. As you will see, Baquer asks that we share his materials with anyone interested in the welfare of children. However, in agreement with his family, we are not sharing information about Baquer's situation or referring to any communications with him with the press or on social media. Please be careful therefore in quoting Baquer publicly or on social media.


Let me add my own greetings and wishes for a great 2019. Join please in keeping Baquer, Siamak and the rest of his family in our thoughts and prayers.


Click here to read Baquer's message and the attached materials.

Comments


  1. Fouad Kronfol
    Tue, Jan 1, 12:08 PM
    to me

    Greetings Tom,
    What good news indeed. Please forward my and Nadia's message below to the Namazi Family;

    Dear Brother Baquer, Azeezam,

    Let me first Wish You a Happy Birthday, albeit belatedly,and hope this year brings positive feelings and events to you and the whole Family.
    We miss you a lot and look forward to the time we can be reunited again, Inshallah ! We also hope and pray that your health keeps getting better and stronger, while knowing that you are getting the needed medical care and attention.

    Please be assured, we are all united with you in our quest for the betterment of children throughout the world and will continue to do everything in our means to move forward this lofty goal, one we have acquired with our involvement and working for the United Nations and especially for unicef.

    Our warmest regards and Salaams for the New Year, to you , to Effie and to your Family.

    Fouad and Na

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karin Sham Poo
    Wed, Jan 2, 9:29 AM (12 days ago)
    to me

    Dear Baquer
    First of all, belated happy birthday. You and I share the same birthday month and I was sending warm thoughts to you.

    Then, happy new year. Stanley and I hope 2019 will be a much better year for you and for your son as well.

    We’ll continue to send positive thoughts an vibes in your direction.

    Warm regards
    Karin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Niloufar Pourzand
    Wed, Jan 2, 9:26 AM (12 days ago)
    to me

    Thank you very much. I was just thinking of him. I wrote to Babak to ask him whether I could/should call his father and am awaiting his response. Best, Niloufar

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bilge Bassani
    Wed, Jan 2, 9:48 AM (12 days ago)
    to me

    thank you Tom, for all you are doing and connecting us. BEst regards, for a happy new 2019 . bilge
    Bilgé Ögün Bassani

    ReplyDelete
  5. Manolita
    Wed, Jan 2, 9:49 AM (12 days ago)
    to me

    Thanks Tom. We continue to hope and pray for their safe return to freedom. A very happy new year to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete

  6. Agatha Pratt
    Jan 2, 2019, 10:10 AM (12 days ago)
    to UNICEF, me

    Dear Tom,
    Thank you for sharing this touching message from Baquer. We all pray for 'miracles' for his son and himself. We hope that we will witness those miracles this year and soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ita Reichenberg
    Jan 2, 2019, 11:29 AM (12 days ago)
    to me, UNICEF

    Dear Tom,

    Thank you very much for sharing a thoughtful and moving message from Baquer.
    I join all colleagues and friends in sending my best wishes to Baquer, and his family. I also join in hoping and praying that Baquer is allowed to go home and that his son is released!
    May the early times of this year bring these long awaiting changes.
    Dita

    ReplyDelete

  8. Paula Claycomb
    Jan 2, 2019, 12:58 PM (12 days ago)
    to me

    Dear Tom,

    Thank you for sharing Baquer's message. He and his wife are amazingly strong, I don't know how they maintain their courage and their good will.

    I'm not the prayin' type but will think of Siamat every day and hope for his early release. Perhaps positive vibes will be as powerful as prayers.

    All the best,
    Paula

    ReplyDelete

  9. Devinder Chopra
    Jan 2, 2019, 7:08 PM (12 days ago)
    to Juan, UNICEF, me

    WISHING BAQUER & FAMILY THE VERY BEST & GOOD HEALTH WITH
    A PRAYER OF NEO-BUDDHISTS " NAMYO HO RENGEY KYO" WITH
    THE HOPE THAT HE AND HIS SON AND FAMILY ARE FINALLY GIVEN
    THEIR RIGHTFUL FREEDOM. REMEMBER BAQUER AFTER MEETING
    HIM IN THE BENIGN PRESENCE OF DR BILL COUSINS IN UNICEF
    DELHI. BLESSINGS FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART, SIRE WITH
    THE HOPE THAT YOUR SON REJOINS THE FAMILY !! AMEN !
    dev chopra in gurugram/india

    ReplyDelete

  10. Gourisankar Ghosh
    Jan 3, 2019, 8:08 AM (11 days ago)
    to me

    Dear Tom,

    I can not get words to write to Baquer. What he is going through with his son is inhuman and painful . If our best wishes for them bring any solace and change their situation then we are praying daily for them .

    I still hope the situation may change and he will be released without any condition .

    May the new year bring some good news !

    Gouri

    ReplyDelete

  11. John Sarkissian
    Wed, Jan 2, 8:53 AM (12 days ago)
    to me

    Message from Baquer Namazi



    Dear Tom and all my very dear former colleagues and friends

    As the new year sets in I want to express my best wishes for your health and well being and invite you to join me in my humble prayer for 2019 to usher in a process leading to a better, more caring and kinder world for all, especially for underprivileged children

    I also ask you to pray for the freedom of my patriotic son and all those unjustly imprisoned throughout the world.

    God be with all of you, always

    Baquer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tom McDermott
      Wed, Jan 2, 10:26 AM (12 days ago)
      to John

      Dear Baquer,

      Thank you so much for your kind good wishes for the year ahead.

      I have just forwarded your latest message to our colleagues, and I am sure many will want to send back their best wishes. I will collect these and forward them to you.

      Two days ago I forwarded your earlier message to all our XUNICEF colleagues. I included your attachments on the updated proposal for Children as Zones of Peace in the conflict zones of the Middle East. It was heart-warming to see how firmly you remain dedicated to the work we all share for the children of the region.

      Many have begun to reply, asking that I pass on to you and Effie, and all your family their own warm regards and wishes for good health, happiness and freedom. I am including here a few of the messages so far received.

      I have also included below Fouad's note to all of us reminding all of us of the important anniversaries coming up this year.

      Please know that we all remain deeply concerned for you and for Siamak. We keep you both always in our prayers.

      Let me also add on behalf of Viviane, Dan and myself our very best wishes for the year ahead, and in particular for Siamak.

      Tom

      PS - I head a small group of XUNICEF colleagues who edit a quarterly newsletter for the retirees. Earlier this month we sent out our 4th edition. I have not been sending these to you as until now we had no email link. Please consider contributing an article or any other material for our next edition in March. Click here for the recent edition.

      Delete

Post a Comment

If you are a member of XUNICEF, you can comment directly on a post. Or, send your comments to us at xunicef.news.views@gmail.com and we will publish them for you.