Skip to main content

Textures of Thought: Artist-Machine Collaboration - Gautam Banerji


Artist's Dialogue with the Machine: 
Selection of my entry for the Fifth International Print Biennale 2025 was itself a pleasant surprise. I had covered it as a preview for the Blog prior to inauguration early last month. Mine was one among hundreds of exhibits from over fifty countries this year. It gave a humbling feeling to be a small part of a major international event for the second time. I had made it for the earlier event in 2023 as well.

As an added bonus, I was invited to speak as a panellist at the Second International Printmaking Symposium. The symposium was stretched over two days. I spoke on the first.

My presentation centred around Artist-Machine Collaboration.


In this dawning age of AI, Artist-Machine Collaboration acquires a new meaning, with a new potential hitherto unexplored. The crucial question that arises through the process is as to what extent the artist lets go his creative impulse to a machine led creation and at what cost.

Drawing upon my background in tactile abstraction, I presented a series of recent paintings I developed in collaboration with generative and computational processes. They are among my recent experiments in what would be called post-digital printmaking. These works, you will notice, challenge the binaries of analog/digital, spontaneous/computed and organic/engineered.


The original analogue paintings in blue are displayed here along with the digital transformations for comparison. Through visual examples and reflective commentary, my session invited dialogue on new aesthetic languages that emerge when human creativity intertwines with machine intelligence - not to mimic life, but to invent alternative modes of sensing and seeing. 

It is important to emphasize that artist-machine collaboration is not about letting go of control but about creating a meaningful dialogue. It is not about automation, but augmentation. It could lead in turn to questions of authorship, perception and the process itself. It is no less about exploration of visual language between artistic intention and machine manipulation, using symmetry, repetition and digital enhancements as tools for abstract narrative. 

The pieces I have displayed here, represent a deliberate co-authorship between myself and digital tools. I begin with analogue (displayed above as originals in blue) and through processes of digital reflection, duplication and tonal shifting, the machine reinterprets the marks, creating new pathways for meaning.

Exhibit 1: Reforged

Here, returning to the original composition, I fed it through an alternative digital process - changing colour temperature and enhancing centrality. It feels now like a ceremonial object or a coded signal.

Exhibit 2: Axis of Division and Unity

This piece also started with a single image, but was digitally mirrored and colour segmented to evoke the sense of an ancient emblem. The digital transformation enhances the material feel, creating surfaces that appear tactile despite being digital.
 
Exhibit 3: Double Vortex

Here the machine helped accentuate the natural pull of the composition into a kind of vortex. The symmetry isn't static - it moves, collapses, reforms, resembling a black hole or inner core. 

Exhibit 4: Entangled Structures

This is perhaps the most kinetic of the set. The forms were originally chaotic, but through layering and enhancement, the machine found rhythm - highlighting patterns I hadn't consciously seen.

My digital prints emerge, you will notice, from a hybrid process, where human gesture meets digital precision, exploring intuition against computation. The machine extends perception but does not replace it. The human factor remains the interpretive and ethical anchor and the process becomes a dialogue.

Delivering a Power Point Presentation 

Panel discussion with other international panellists

In a pensive mood

To sum up, machines extend the artist's perception, and not replace it, the algorithmic intervention revealing in turn unseen visual logic. The process becomes a dialogue - gestural, recursive, interpretive.

In working with machine, I don't relinquish control - I multiply it. The machine acts as both mirror and magnifier, forcing me to rethink form, scale and meaning. Together, we reach what neither could achieve alone.

The final Award

Comments

  1. My goodness, Gautam! This is a side of you I hadn't seen until now! Congratulations, not only on your international recognition but also on the creativity and courage you show in combining your innate artistic talent with fascinating technology breakthroughs. I'd like to forward your account to two of my artist-graduate students studying anthropology to make similar fine-arts/anthropology/technology connections. They will love your examples. Can you please send me this article with the pictures as a separate for forwarding to them--unless Tom can more easily do that? My own ability along those lines is limited. Thanks -- and keep it up! Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mary for your kindness and the encouragement. I have responded to your request by email. It will be a pleasure to be of any further assistance to your students. Do feel free to share my email address with them if needed.

      Delete
  2. Dorrit Alopaeus-StåhlNovember 2, 2025 at 4:34 AM

    Congratulations to Gautam for the art works shared and to Mary for encouraging comments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fascinating development in your work Akhi. Congratulations. This reminds me of another era and another machine to art relationship. Those of us who can remember that before photocopying came around, unicef and the UN used the Gestetner duplicating machine for all copying work of documents etc. The machine used ink to make the copies. When one took out the originals after copying one could see that the ink that seeped through th3 original left some amazing designs on the back of the document. It looked very much like the ink blot in the famous Rorschach psycho test. I used to collect some of the more interesting ones and even recall framing a couple. Unfort7nately I no longer have any left.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fascinating. It can still be done with old machines. Incidentally I consider the old box camera no less a machine. And perhaps the potter’s wheel was the first machine to combine creativity with utility. That creative urge drives it all. Thank you Akhi for the comments. I wish more would chip in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You’ve demonstrated an unthinkable collaboration in art between man and machine. Alas! If only this was available in my childhood, my grades in drawing would have been higher!!! Well done Gautam. And above all thank you for your contribution . Doreen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Doreen. You can start again. It’s never too late. Begin as a child even in adulthood. Many great artists tried to go back to their childhood. We all have the child in us. Keep it alive!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Please ensure you leave your name, bei either selecting your google account (if you have one), or selecting 'name' from the drop down menu. Enter your name there. If confused, leave your name in the text of your comment.