Skip to main content

Comments from Readers : 13-19 March 2022

 


I am generally, and instinctively, a fan of UN S-G Antonio Guterres and feel that he has been a good S-G with impeccable credentials and a very sober leadership style in dealing with a world dominated by dangerous populist demagogues or autocrats like Trump, Boris, Bolsonaro, Erdogan, Putin & Xi. But I agree with this very thoughtful and sobering piece on S-G Antonio Guterres' relative invisibility (outside the UN premises) in the ongoing Ukraine crisis. He needs to be - and seen to be - far more publicly visible in trying to tackle the Ukraine crisis. His invisibility seriously undermines his and the UN's credibility at this time of the greatest international security crisis of his tenure as SG. I too would have expected him to be more visibly engaged in shuttle diplomacy as we see Macron, Scholz, Blinken, et. al. Why isn't he visiting Moscow, Kyiv & Brussels? Why don't we hear about him calling or writing to Putin, Biden, Zelensky? I am sure that a Hammarskjold, Annan and even the otherwise quiet U Thant & voluble Butros Ghali would have been more visible and outspoken. I have no doubt about Guterres' competence & commitment. But sometimes I worry about his (lack of) courage. I am sure he is active in some quiet diplomacy, behind the scene. But that is not good enough for the UN's credibility in this day and age when the world's eyes are on Ukraine and people all over the world are asking "Where is the UN?" when its very raison d'être is being rudely challenged by one of its major founding member-states.
Thanks all for your appreciative comments. I have sent them to Kamal who asks that I thank you for your kind words. Sree
Very well spoken Rima. Thanks for speaking up on behalf of all children impacted by conflicts. Best regards Raana
UNICEF Germany is built on a network of 8000 volunteers working in 200 groups across Germany, though I do not know to what degree they engage in assistance to refugees (from Ukraine or elsewhere) in Germany, other than raising funds.
The first refugees from the Ukraine have arrived in our town (Monschau), which is in the far west of Germany, on the border to Belgium. Given the experience with the Syrian refugee crisis, the authorities seem to be well prepared and capable of assisting refugees from the point of entry to their envisaged place in the host commune. Arriving Ukrainians do not need visa and do not need to apply for visa, but can apply for protection under which they will receive accommodation, either in rented flats or houses where groups of refugees can live. They also receive free medical services and allowances for food. Transport by train or bus is free, no tickets are required. Ordinary citizens – including XUNICEF staff – can help to give those refugees a temporary home and make them feel welcome. In many locations citizens have been creating associations of volunteers to assist refugees with completing documentation, translation, help in finding accommodation, German bureaucracy, registering children in school, getting their vaccinations, doctor’s appointments, and so on. Gabi has been managing such an association in our town for several years. She is now attempting to learn Ukrainian language.
There were even more children living on the street than those in institution. Data about children on the street and in institutions and what UNICEF has been proposing to do are in the latest UNICEF Ukraine CPD
What a lovely virtual tour and beautiful pictures. We always loved our visit to the Isla del Encanto and our favorite beach was Luquillo. Lechon, is also available here on St.Croix, especially during VI-Puerto Rican Friendship month in October, but we have no "Ruta".. It's definitely one of my favorite dishes.
On women in leadership positions, I can attest after years of working on the ground with urban poor women in Philippine cities, to their impressive capacities to address and manage their communities effectively in the context of poverty, discrimination and, most recently, the pandemic. When organized into women-led People's Organizations, they are able to contront power in strong but non-violent ways. They know how to keep unrelentingly persistent in asserting their perspecitves (after years of doing the same with their husband-partner-father-brothers), how to assess the official power-holder's weak points and pressure there, negotiate cleverly, and still remain friends with their "oppressors" afterwards. The same applies when they get into highler positions of government power (with only a few exceptions) If women ran the world (and the Catholic Church, as I keep telling my bishop and priest friends since I teach at a Jesuit university), it would be run more efficiently, democratically and compassionately, resulting in more inclusive, non-warring and just societies. So there! Mary Racelis
Mar 12, 2022
Many 'rich' countries could do with better ECD services - I always wondered why ECD seemed to have a low priority in UNICEF programmes and development in general.
Mar 12, 2022
Very moving! Such an unbelievably harsh situation. Thanks for sharing Oscar. Indeed, we do have to each do our part to help! Can’t bear to watch the news anymore. And can’t believe it could get worse! Mehr
Mar 12, 2022
Thank you Oscar for sharing. This whole situation is heartbreaking. Since this invasion and this senseless war, my mind has literally traveled back to my home country, thinking about what we Afghans went through in April 1979 when the Soviet Union invaded Afghanistan and killed 9% or 1.5 million Afghan children, women and men in the 10 years of occupation. Even in Afghanistan the Red Army was defeated so they forgot about the dream of Lennon to reach the warm waters of Indian Ocean. Situation of Afghanistan and Ukraine can not be compared as Ukraine is in the heart of Europe and Afghanistan was a poor country in the heart of Asia. I am happy for the Ukrainian people to be evacuated so fast and in orderly manner by trains. I am also happy that the world media is reporting to the world. I have contributed to UNHCR and am a regular contributor to UNICEF on monthly bases. I wish all the best, safety and good health for our UNICEF and our UN colleagues so they can serve the Traumatized refugees and the displaced children and women. I look forward to the next Digest. All the best. Gulbadan Habibi
Mar 12, 2022
Thank you so much Oscar for sending this message from witold. It’s great to hear from an ex unicef colleague who can report from a local’s perspective. As an English woman I am really ashamed of how my government is behaving towards the refugees but believe me that does not reflect the views and indeed actions of the majority of brits. I have of course donated cash and tried to give bedding, blow up mattresses etc, but the collection points have been overwhelmed. There are trucks and vans leaving daily for Poland and other receiving countries. Paddy and I are now in Costa Rica having a wonderful time but feeling a bit guilty. We had an overnight in Madrid on the way and as we stood in line for 1+ hrs to get through immigration I kept thinking about those poor women and children waiting for so many more hours in the snow to get across the border. I do hope you and Susie are enjoying yourselves in your new home. Stay well. But love to you both Vicky
Mar 12, 2022
Oscar, So moving. I hope this is ok to share. So different from what we saw in the Ukraine for Syrian refugees at that train station. Have also donated to UNICEF and to a Romanian relief group that a friend works with. Love to you and Susie,
Mar 12, 2022
Thank you so much for sharing these messages. The war and destruction in Ukraine are truly intolerable and heartbreaking; but, in stark contrast, this extraordinary wave of solidarity and humanity in Poland and elsewhere give us all an uplifting reason to feel hopeful - hopeful for peace to be a reality in Ukraine and everywhere and for the world to become a place where serenity, respect and human rights are genuinely enjoyed by each and every person. All the best Marta
Angela Raven Roberts commented on "Report from Poland : Witold Smyk / Oscar Fernandez"
Mar 12, 2022
angela ravenrobertsravenroberts Mar 11, 2022, 11:22 PM (12 hours ago) to me, xUNICEFers Thank you, also be aware that there are others e.g in UK, who are ready to

Comments