Skip to main content

The Quarterly - September 2020


Dear Reader,

We are pleased to present here our Quarterly for the third quarter of 2020.  Our theme this quarter is: 

"Back in those days when we were small."  

Put another way, this is a collection of memories of childhood - our own childhoods - what we did, what we felt, and what we learned.  

Many of you contributed to this edition, and we thank you for your contributions.  For those who were not able to contribute this time, we look forward to hearing your stories of childhood in the near future.  

You can read the text by simply scrolling down through the pages below, but the links in the table of contents will only work if you open the actual PDF.  To open the PDF, just click on the icon shown below in the upper right of the document.  If you don't see the icon, just move your mouse over the document and the icon will appear.



If you still have trouble opening the document, you can also access the document by clicking here

While you are here, take a moment to check out the many other articles on our website that have appeared since our last Weekly Update.  Click here.



Comments

  1. Enjoyed reading everyone’s childhood memories. Can you do one issue on every ones favourite recipe ??? We will get an instant international cookbook! Very useful during lockdown!!!!
    Warm regards
    Shahida

    ReplyDelete
  2. JUST WONDERFUL!!! THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES…

    Love from Guatemala.

    Juan Aguilar

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Editors,

    Thank you for sharing the Newsletter.

    Thirteen years after retiring from UNICEF, I was back in UNICEF
    feeling so happy to thos beautiful childhood stories of friends I knew so well.

    Thank you for the great work of putting the Newsletter together.

    Kind regards

    Soma

    ReplyDelete
  4. Geeta Athreya


    What a marvellous idea to get these wonderful childhood memories!! It's like a Chest of Precious things! Each story to be read over and over again. Great work! I know Doreen edited mine! Thank you all!!
    Geeta

    ReplyDelete
  5. Niloufar Pourzand


    Congratulations!!!!!! Looks great!!!

    Niloufar

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good morning/good day!

    This edition is simply amazing!! I am reading it at night and enjoying doing so. As I have said, full credit goes to "the formidable four" of you! I had limited contribution and you all deserve the highest praise. You guys/gals are indomitable souls!

    I think Sree proposed the theme of "childhood memories." So special thanks to you, Sree. The response to your call has been beyond expectation.

    I will definitely archive this edition and share the link widely among friends and family.

    With much admiration and heartfelt thanks to all,
    Nuzhat

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ezio Gianni Murzi


    I join Nuzhat in sending my heartfelt congratulations to the team for this beautifully crafted Quarterly. A joy to read!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jim Mayrides

    Thank you Doreen, you did a wonderful job pulling this together. Really interesting human side of our friends and former colleagues. You are special. All the best. Jim

    ReplyDelete

  9. Keshab Mathema

    Wonderful collection of memorabila. Thank you for sharing.
    Keshab Mathema

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Doreen,
    I did receive and did not overlook the News Letter containing that beautiful collection of memories. It is such a nice, even impressive, collage of “mini-autobiographical pieces” that colorfully shows the wide variety of backgrounds, cultures, personalities and characters that staffed UNICEF. It’s a true reflection of the diversity of the agency, and as such of its strength.
    You have challenged all of us to write up some memories, and many did. You have motivated us to dare tell something of what we think are the reasons, factors and circumstances that made us of what we have become. It’s only now, when we are retired, that we can sit back, reflect and try to understand our own histories. I am sure that there are many more stories to tell and share.
    Thank you, it was a pleasure to respond.
    Ronald van Dijk
    Malaysia

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Tom.
    Yes the Quarterly was most interesting and enjoyable. I would never have thought that Fouad was such an inquisitive and mischievous young boy... And I guess the pain you suffered with a broken nose prevented you from becoming a prize fighter.
    I just finished reading this fascinating collection of childhood memories, and in the meantime the new update arrived with more interesting articles.
    I guess I missed "tomorrow evening's session" but I think one theme that everyone could relate to is an important event (or meeting someone) that changed your life.
    I don't think recipes would work since there are too many cooking shows on TV and YouTube. Although an unusual meal could have been the event that changed one's life.
    Sorry for being so long winded. All I wanted to say is thanks and congrats on this great Quarterly.
    Horst.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please ensure you leave your name, bei either selecting your google account (if you have one), or selecting 'name' from the drop down menu. Enter your name there. If confused, leave your name in the text of your comment.