Skip to main content

My Grandchildren and their Worldview : R. Padmini

 


Padmini -My Grandchildren and their Worldview 

When Divya, my grand-daughter was about three or four, she set up a ‘pretend’ stall selling hot-cross buns and I had to buy something from her. 

 ‘How much for one?’, I asked.

‘Ten dollars!’

‘That’s too much!’ I protested ‘I’ll give you five’.

She shook her head and retorted,’That is too little. You can have it for three.

Needless to say, I gave her the virtual 3 dollars gladly, and ate the bun virtually.  Both selller and buyer were so satisfied at the ‘bargain’!

My grandson, Jai, was nearly twelve earlier this year. He likes going to school early so he can play with his friend, Andre. One morning, they were playing basketball, with Andre’s jacket as the ball. Aiming at the basket, Jai found it entangled in the hoop! So to retrieve it, he aimed at it with his shoe, and that landed on a ledge above!

Now there was no go but to seek adult help, and he had to write an apology, etc. The note came home to his parents, and I saw it on Whats app. Talking to him later on the weekend, I asked him what would have happened if the shoe had hit a person rather than landing on the ledge.

Pat came the answer, ‘That would have been better’!

‘How come?’

‘I could have got it back myself, instead of going to the teacher.’

‘But the person might have been angry’.

‘ Then I would have walked away’

‘Without saying sorry?’

‘ Oh I would have, but still walked away in case he was still angry!’


Comments