Skip to main content

What to do la #6 - Democracy? by Tim Sutton

What to do la is an occasional musing on what one former staff member has and hasn’t done since leaving UNICEF. This week – Democracy?

Thinking back on my time in UNICEF, democracy and elections (free, fair or otherwise) were not something to be taken for granted.  One person, one vote for a choice of candidates, with the actual votes determining who would govern, just wasn’t so common in most of the countries I worked in.

I spent five years in the UNICEF multicountry office in Fiji. Fiji was a “democracy” but towards the end of our first year there, we were told by one of the people that worked with us (whose husband happened to be a Colonel in the Fijian Army) that there was going to a coup on Tuesday next week. I was OIC of the UNICEF Office at the time and I remember a phone conversation I had with Richard Bridle who was then the Deputy Regional Director in Bangkok. Fiji was supposed to be hosting the next Regional Ministerial Conference on Children (MinCon for those that miss acronyms!) the following year. We were discussing logistical arrangements, and I said to Richard something to the effect that this might all be for nothing as there was going to be “coup” next Tuesday. He laughed and I don’t think he quite believed me. But the next Tuesday I rode my bike to work, said “Bula” and waved to the soldiers who were standing around looking a little sheepish at the newly installed checkpoints for the newly self-appointed military government. 

Later that morning I called Richard in the Regional Office and updated him on the Coup and staff safety etc and, as I recall, offered my services in “prophesy” to the organisation as a whole. I could imagine my office on the 13th floor of UNICEF House right beside Chief of Staff, Chief Legal Advisor, there could be a Chief of Prophesy … or Chief Advisor Future Forward Initiatives …?

Elections also weren’t a big thing in Iraq when I was there, Saddam Hussein didn’t seem to be a fan of multiparty democracy. In China there were actually some elections, but not too many surprises in the results.

In contrast elections in South Asia are vibrant, exciting, mass participation affairs and often an income multiplier for those that attended the enormous rallies. In Bangladesh Khaleda Zia and Sheik Hassina were battling it out when I was there in the late 90s. I remember the 30 plus day hartal where the only way to move around the city somewhat safely was by ambulance.

Political dynasties were a big thing then. Now, thankfully, they seem to have become less important in South Asia. Ironic in a way as they seem to have become more of thing in the U.S.A. as they mark 250 years of democracy.

Having been an interested bystander of elections while working for UNICEF, one of things I wanted to do when I got back to New Zealand was get a little more meaningfully involved in the democratic process. About a year after I got back, elections for our local councils and community boards were held. I decided that I would put myself forward as a candidate for my local Community Board. There were five candidates standing for four seats, so someone had to miss out.

We had some public meetings where we all got to present our spiel and take questions from the fifteen of so people who had turned out. The other candidates were all great and they knew a lot more about our community than I did. I remember being asked what I thought about the lack of a pedestrian crossing at some intersection – and I had no idea where it was. But after many years in the U.N. I could talk my way through an answer that probably sounded OK but didn’t have too much substance to it. Who would argue that a pedestrian crossing was not a good thing!

As election day drew near the hard truth remained – five candidates for four seats. Someone had to miss out. We had all become quite good friends through the election process. One of my fellow candidates, a lawyer who had lived in the community with his family for many years, noted that he was the only one of the five of us who had not provided a photo of themselves for the elections brochure that had gone to every household. On the basis of the lack of a photo he thought he was likely to be the unlucky one. And he was right. Style (dare I say it) “trumps” substance. Elections are so often won and lost on the power of an image, even for a local community board.

More musings to come so please look out for - What to do la #7 – Paperwork!

Comments