Skip to main content

The Kindness of People - message from Baquer Namazi

Baquer Namazi sent this message to the editors:

Dears

Since returning to US after being held in unjust captivity in the country I loved and served by oppressors who have hijacked the country's leadership, I have been touched by the endless kindness of people from all walks of life. As my deep feeling of appreciation and gratitude deepened I thought I share this experience - a bright light shining in the darkness of bad things happening all around our world.

The kindness I have experienced comes from old and young, from all the rich ethnically diverse people, from shopkeepers, waiters, taxi drivers, physicians, lawyers, journalists, civil society activists, and particularly from men and women in the Police Force. All I need is to ask for direction and people stop what they are doing, often insisting on walking with me some of the way in the right to ensure I have got the direction right. 

The last time I was in New York, travelling by train to Boston, the volunteer guide and his wife, both wonderful looking African Americans, to help with my heavy luggage, came to my assistance. The lady even got on the train and placed the luggage where it belonged, had me comfortably seated and then got off in time before the train started. Earlier she had got agreement of the train guard to hold off until she completed her good deed. 

I visit Woodrow Wilson Center two a three days a week, where former and new friends have facilitated staff support and IT assistance to facilitate my second study related to my memoirs. The chief security guard waves me through each time I enter the building, without having to go through the security  system.

Today on the way to my dentist in was raining heavily. The driver got out of the car, got wet under the rain and made certain that my umbrella was opened before I got off. 

There are so many more great stories to narrate. I wanted to share the great feeling of human compassion that I constantly feel in my adopted country, which empowers me with hope and energy and reminds me the world is full of good people, with whose collaboration we can vision a better future for humankind.

If you think this is something worthy of sharing please publish, so other friends will be prompted to share their positive experiences in everyday life.

Baquer

Comments

  1. Are not all African Americans « wonderful looking »

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dearest Baquer Namazi,

    Warmest greetings and Salam from Uganda. I fondly recall our last meeting in Tehran around 2013 when I was leading the UNICEF office there. It brings me great joy to know that you are now surrounded by people who respect you and offer you the dignity you have always deserved.

    If those around you truly come to know the depth of your service and unwavering dedication to children around the world, I have no doubt their admiration and affection for you will only deepen.

    May you continue to stay well, and I eagerly look forward to the opportunity to meet again.

    With warmest regards,
    Munir Safieldin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Baquer:

    Please lets us know when your memoirs are complete as both my wife and I will be reading them - if we are allowed. You will not have to offer them to us with a polite, "Befarmaeed" to which I would be obliged to say, "Daste-shoma. . . ." (sorry, no Persian keyboard on this device !)

    Your fortitude and reaction to adversity astonishing, and your humility an example to us all.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please ensure you leave your name, bei either selecting your google account (if you have one), or selecting 'name' from the drop down menu. Enter your name there. If confused, leave your name in the text of your comment.