Skip to main content

Taste: A Poem by Richard Morgan


99 cent New York pizza
I've no taste for it at any price
I’m happier over there in England
With the hopelessness and irony
And the peerless Vindaloo (on rice)

You know what they say about me?
That my best work is behind me
And is clearly out of fashion
Yet some notable from Yale
Writes to me - quite reverently
Citing my "towering reputation in the field"

I was not aware, my darling
I had no idea, I swear
I just work now to survive
Thousands of colleagues saving lives
Child death rates fall, that’s all I care

These working years are almost gone
This is written for the one to come
Who might some day be wondering
What her loving Dad was thinking
In the evenings he would leave her
For the late night flight to England
For a sweet taste of the sullen atmosphere.
*****

Comments