Yes, a tall UNICEF giant Marco Vianello Chiodo has left us. What an emotional shock and a sad news not only to his daughter Nathalie and his family but to all of us his former UNICEF friends and colleagues.
I personally did not have the privilege to work with Marco as during all my UNICEF years I never worked at Headquarters. I had however the opportunity during missions at Headquarters to meet with him and participated in meetings which he also attended. We met also during his field visits in regions and countries where I was posted.
Marco was the architect of the Italian Government contribution of US 100 million to the Universal Child immunisation programme. I recalled that I was in Rome attending the annual meeting of the International Development Society (IDS). At the request of Mr. Grant who also was participating in the meeting I met with Marco to review the draft agreement covering this donation. In that meeting I expressed disagreement of some clauses that were not in line with UNICEF rules and regulations and procurement procedures. Marco told me bluntly: Fritz “either we accept these clauses or there will be no contribution”. I reported this to Mr.Grant. The agreement was finally signed with no changes by the Italian Minister Forte and Mr Grant with Marco, Steve Joseph and myself present.
An anecdote about this donation commented by Marco himself: at a regional meeting in Abidjan attended by Marco, a participant shouted at him regarding this contribution saying: “This is prostitution“. Marco replied: “Yes, it is prostitution. One hundred million dollars. That’s my price. What is yours”. This was Marco witty spirit. That was the end of the discussion.
Let me say that in all these meetings and encounters I very much-admired Marco’s interventions and his “franc parler” not afraid to say what he thinks- they like it or not. These beautiful traits I must say made up his personality: a sharp intellect, his professional integrity, a firm commitment to the cause, his love to his family, his human warmth and “la joie de vivre”.
Marco's unexpected departure is indeed painful to his daughter Nathalie and his family. They may however find some comfort in the thought that he has now joined his loving wife Angelika in the company of God.
May he rest in peace!

Comments
Post a Comment
Please ensure you leave your name, bei either selecting your google account (if you have one), or selecting 'name' from the drop down menu. Enter your name there. If confused, leave your name in the text of your comment.