Skip to main content

Missing You: Marco, Karin Sham Poo



Marco visiting Pisa during the Viareggio Reunion 2009

I have known Marco since the first day I joined UNICEF in 1985. I have had the opportunity to work with him when he was the director of PFO and I was the Comptroller and when we were both Deputy Executive Directors. Marco and I had many interesting discussions over the years. We could strongly agree and strongly disagree but we always respected each others views and continued to be good friends. 

After he retired and later I retired, we continued to have regular contacts via email and I-messages. One day some years ago, he told me that as a relatively young man, he worked as the 1st secretary at the Italian Embassy in Venezuela which also covered Trinidad and Tobago and he visited the islands regularly. He told me about people he had met which had made an impression on him. Luck would have it that I knew one of the people he mentioned and I was able to get them in touch with each other via email.

It was only a few months ago, when we last were in touch with each other, it was around his 91st birthday and as always he responded promptly.

Marco will be missed by so many, friends and family. May he RIP.

Comments