Skip to main content

Looking Back Two Years and Remembering Samir Sobhy, RIP

Samir Sobhy - colleague, artist, poet, author passed away on UNICEF Day, 11 December 2020. Your XUNICEF family remembers you, dear Samir, through your art, poetry and writing and your dedication to a better life for children throughout the world.

"No elegy no prose, Funeral, or candle,
Just a red rose." Samir Sobhy

Samir's Drawings and Paintings

Here is Samir's own story of his passion for art.

Samir Sobhy - Long Travels Through A Career of Art


I started drawing when I was about 6 or 7 years old, and around 11 years old started painting in watercolor (shortly followed by oil). As a child, I had only pencil and pen as tools, and so naturally I started by making drawings, not paintings. As a teenager, without really realizing how important drawing was, l worked hard to improve my skills. Fortunately, my father had a fairly good number of art books, including works by European masters.

Male Figure in Colour Pencil

I never obtained any degree in art, but attended many art classes in Cairo, Paris, New York, and Dakar. These classes covered painting, drawing, sculpture, graphics, design, and fashion.

I started my art career in painting using watercolor, but since I had not yet benefited from any artistic instructions, the results were poor! Years later, after attending many watercolor workshops, listening to excellent instructors, reading and observing masterpieces in watercolor, I still find the medium extremely daunting, though enjoyable, with one successful painting out of ten!!

When l started to attend art classes, I focused my attention on one particular technique: the capacity to make one single contour line to capture the form, without ever using an eraser! I had to get it right the first time. This needed certain requirements: l had to have control over my hand; my eye had to be coordinated and synchronized with my hand. As my skills and my experience improved, l learned how to avoid the monotony of a single line by making it thinner in parts and thicker in others.

My style, technique, and subject matter changed drastically over my long artistic career. Under the influence of the impressionists, my colors were light and my style was loose. but soon my palette got darker, and my subjects became more somber, not to say macabre, Mainly influenced by Dali, I passed through a long period of surrealism.

However, I always responded to my environment. While in Saudi Arabia for a couple of years, I only dealt with 3 subjects: bedouin jewelry, oriental carpets, and impressions of a primitive traditional village near Riyadh.


Ring and Necklace, Pastel




Baobob

During some 10 years in Dakar, Senegal, I was introduced to the majestic and imposing baobab trees, and the fascinating, enigmatic Gorée Island, of which I had a wonderful view from my apartment in Dakar.
Gorée Sunrise, Pastel


More recently I have experimented with marbling. Marbling is an old technique allowing the creation of designs resembling the veins and patterns of marble. This is achieved by filling a tray with water (clear or ‘sized’ by adding certain medium), followed by applying special colors to the surface, which should not sink to the bottom of the tray. Patterns and designs are then made by the artist by moving colors to create various forms, generally imitating marble.



At present I am focusing on landscapes in oil as well as watercolor, with occasional still life and flower arrangements.
  

Wheat Hill, on paper





Editor's Note: In retirement Samir worked as a professional artist and sold his paintings via galleries and his own website. Unfortunately, his website has expired. If anyone has a copy of the pages showing his paintings in later life, please share with us.

Poetry - two of many


Les Saisons - from Samir's 'Poemes pour les Jeunes'

La variété des saisons m’éblousisse,
Me laisse rêveuse et enchantée,
Ravive mon esprit et me réjouisse,

Le printemps rafraîchit et rajeunisse,
M’entoure de lumière et de couleurs, Donne
Espoir et nous épanouisse,

L’été, symbole de récolte et richesse, Me fait
Travailler et transpirer,
Son soleil me bronze et me caresse.

L’automne, ce peintre de talent et finesse,
Offre des tableaux rouges, jaunes et oranges,
Des ombres longues de mélancolie et tristesse

L’hiver couvre ma vie de sa nappe lisse,
Blanche, poudreuse et immaculée
Sur laquelle je joue, tombe et glisse.

Death - from Samir's 'Haiku-Inspired Poems'

Life’s winter has come, No turning
Back,
What will become?

Life’s a puzzle to all, How dreadful
Will be our fall?

I reached the end, Tired, disenchanted.
What’s behind the bend?

You speak of Heaven, Eternal Bliss and
Paradise, What proof is given?

My lovely, farewell,
In serenity and dignity, Travel well.

So, you come for me, Let’s hastily
Depart, Tell: what will be?

No more light, Flower or Spring, Only
Dark night.

Cloaked dark visitor, Claiming souls,
How sinister!

No elegy no prose, Funeral, or candle,
Just a red rose.

Moonlight shimmered, Pond carp
Jumped, Two lovers drowned,

I sat weary by seashore. Soon time will
come
To shut my door.

Abandoned old cemetery, The
Deceased forgotten, Not even a
memory

Books - Samir was one of our most published authors

See Samir's pages in Amazon books by clicking here.































Comments

  1. Thank you for pulling together the vibrant threads of this artist’s life. I remrmber visiting his art-filled home in Dakar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all his paintings. The irises are specially my favorite. His vision of life is real life like, bright and beautiful. His poem of death is amazingly realistic, like a eulogy written for himself. Sadly, once one of our colleagues depart we know their true talent beyond UNICEF paperwork and meetings.

    Gratitude and Respects. Gulbadan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for posting this very sensitive and beautiful memory of Samir.

    I Just wanted to thank whoever put together this piece on Samir. It is beautiful and so clearly reflects who he was: a man with a very generous spirit and a love of life which made him so special. I miss him so much but I also feel very privileged to have been his friend.
    If my original posting has gone missing, please do post this on my behalf.
    Best
    Mehr

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing Samir's paintings. His poetry, the varied themes in different periods remind me a bit of those of Edward Munch, melancholy, romantic themes, uncertainty about aproaching end of life and, in religion, the quest to know afterlife. Those Unicefcolleagues have seen the Edward Munch exposition at the musée d'Orsay in Paris recently will know what I mean, Munchs's writing and thoughts behind his paintings reveal these themes.
    My wife and I fondly remember Samir's apartment in Dakar, which he decorated with great taste. Samir was happy to show us around his paintings. Here was another talent hidden in the Unicef family!
    Boudewijn Mohr
    21200 Beaune
    FRance

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tribute from Mehr Khan on Samir's passing two years ago.
    Samir was a very good man. A man with strong convictions and many qualities including a sense of humor. He was also a very loyal and good friend.

    In addition to his passion for UNICEF to which he gave his all when he worked for it, he had many other interests. After retirement he devoted himself to his other passions.

    Samir was a poet who loved Haiku, an artist, an architect, and he wrote children’s stories.

    He loved nature. In his house in Siwa, a lovely Egyptian Oasis full of fresh and salt water springs near the Great Sand Sea, he created a lovely desert garden of palm trees and greens which he tended with the help of a gardener who came on a donkey. And in his barn in upstate New York, he dug a pond and planted flowers.

    He loved New York.

    He was a private man but those of us who knew him loved him very much.


    ReplyDelete
  6. RIP dear Samir,
    and thank you for bringing him back to (our) life via this lovely piece.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Franziska von Viettinghoff-RieschDecember 14, 2022 at 12:22 PM

    Samir Sobhy, a true Renaissance man, a much respected colleague and a trusted friend, was bestowed with untold talents, creative and innovative and more. May his soul rest in eternal peace.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please ensure you leave your name, bei either selecting your google account (if you have one), or selecting 'name' from the drop down menu. Enter your name there. If confused, leave your name in the text of your comment.