Skip to main content

Annual Report of the SRSG for Children and Armed Conflict : Rima Salah


Dear all,
I hope you are having a good end of summer with your families,
This SRSG Report emphasizes the understanding of Gendered Dimensions of Conflict that are critical for the Protection of Children,
Warm Wishes,
Rima

Annual Report to the General Assembly



Addressing gendered impacts of armed conflict on children


 "The Gender Dimensions of Grave Violations Against Children in Armed Conflict"

Gender is one of the key factors that shape the experience of children in armed conflict. To better understand the gender dimensions of the six grave violations, the Office of the Special Representative published the study  in May 2022. The study ascertained that the disaggregation of data by sex as part of the CAAC mandate has become more consistent, but there is scope left for applying a more systematic gender-sensitive approach and for a more in-depth analysis of casual drivers and gender and age differentiated risk factors.

The Special Representative encourages integrating a stronger gender perspective in the implementation of the CAAC mandate to better scrutinize how unseen gender norms and biases can affect the protection of children to make it be more context-specific and inclusive of diverse population groups.

"Embedding technical expertise on gender within child protection teams on the ground could strengthen gender analysis and Member States, United Nations partners and non-governmental organizations can all contribute to supporting such efforts," added Virginia Gamba.

Comments

  1. agop kayayan agopk@yahoo,comAugust 27, 2022 at 7:42 PM

    I am impressed by the quality and extension of the work of the work being done.
    May I make a small suggestion: There are many retired people like my self from UN organizations. We do have experience and we do have the capacity to contribute. We are not asking for honors or financial benefits. Use our experience and knowledge of languages and countries. It is a waste of existing resources. I am sure you have included work with retired people, but most probably not enough.
    I have worked with UNICEF for 10 years in Central America where 3 countries were in long internal armed conflicts. We arranged for and supported financially the Days of Tranquility in El Salavador. For six consecutive years, three times a year, for two days each time, children were vaccinated against five diseases.
    There is so much to teach young and not so young staff of UN agencies and other international organizations. I am particularly delighted to hear about the Malta Government initiative. Young people NEED to be trained BEFORE they are sent to armed conflict countries.
    On a separate note, I suggest that attention be paid to armed conflicts in countries such as Brazill due to drug traficking. Children and women are being hurt by government agencies as well as drug dealing organizations. This may eventually lead to serious conflicts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. further to my previous comment, I would like to know more about the training idea of the Government of Malta. I have seen young professionals posted in Central America during the 80s getting hurt or barely escaping trouble due to lack of training. The same applies to many international organizations.
    Has the initiative succeeded if yes is there a way I can contact the organizers? Aop Kayayan Agopk@ yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please ensure you leave your name, bei either selecting your google account (if you have one), or selecting 'name' from the drop down menu. Enter your name there. If confused, leave your name in the text of your comment.