Skip to main content

Report from Poland : Witold Smyk / Oscar Fernandez

Editor's Note :  Oscar has sent this message to the network by email.  We are repeating it here so that comments and replies by members can be posted on our website.  

If you are in touch with any current or former UNICEF staff or consultants living or working in Ukraine, Poland, Hungary, Slovakia, or Moldova, please put them in touch with us by email at xunicef.news.views@gmail.com   We will be grateful for any news they can give us.   

Help us maintain our dedicated webpage of UNICEF Ukraine Updates with as many 'first person' stories as possible.  Thanks.  


From Oscar

I think we need to have a dedicated bulletin to those colleagues who are on the front line of this terrible crisis! I myself am trying to find out how I can help here in Valencia. I already donated to UNHCR and UNICEF. I need to address and reach the entire group this time and direct you for future updates to XUNICEF News and Views!

My heart bleeds for the good Ukrainian people. And what Poland is doing! I have so much respect for the people of Poland and what they are doing to help the war-besieged Ukrainian people . It is admirable, the world and history will never forget it.

Oscar

Following is a message from Witold Smyk, one our XUNICEF members in Poland!

I am in Warsaw. The city is now bigger by 20% due to the influx of 300 000 refugees, and 1,5 million to Poland. And so far there has been no need to build refugees' camps. I have been long retired and am not that involved. My two cousins host a group of 5 each. We plan to take some refugees home too but after completing the travel we have committed to till April. it is expected that millions more will come soon so my assistance is waiting in the reserve.  Frank Buchanan's wife Maggie collected an amount of money amongst her family and I am responsible for passing it on directly into the hands of refugees. We'll suffer economic hardship here as the productive men (about 1,5 million of Ukrainians had worked in Poland before the war) are returning to Ukraine to fight and are replaced by the women who are taking care of children. But a war is a war. Putin and Russians - it was to be expected.

Second message!

Just got back from Central Station where I went to check on how things are really going. This is one of the few communication knots of the relocation of refugees from Ukraine (when I write this, 1.3 million of them came) about which you read dramatic statements about a catastrophic mess and calls to the voivodeship for some action. Voivoda responds not to hysterize, because the situation is quite good. I saw how it was this afternoon and I can confirm it. In the 70s of the last century I traveled during Christmas on the route Wrocław-Kraków-Lublin-Zamość and back. Then there was a crowd and a piston at the stations, anger, rush, storming wagons, endless queues to checkout.


And today on Central - none of that. It's empty outside as ever. It's normal on platforms and in between platforms too - people are just before or after the train arrives. On the Ukrainian platform a group of three women and four small children - women slightly annoyed because the train to Kołobrzeg ran away. Higher, on the main level more people; mainly they face different points: free food, Orange with free SIM cards with connections to Ukraine; there is also a medical aid point, information point, control point for free accommodation, be paid transportation for accommodation, free transportation anywhere, volunteers reception point with a queue of willing, phone charging point, in the corner of a package with clothes and toys. There are firemen. Numerous volunteers - translators with cards on their backs informing what languages they speak. It's only on the fourth floor that the view is unique, because there are a lot of people sitting or lying on blankets - waiting to be connected to other cities. Many deputies are empty - their tenants have either gone through or they have already gone on their way. There is a special room (glass) for mothers with children with a guard in front of the entrance. Almost all of them lined up with blankets that the children jump on. It sure is very hard to be on the road with children to the unknown, leaving your husbands in the conditions we see on screens. But there is peace and order here. Not even the babies cry. A lot of words of appreciation are coming from the world for Poland and helping Poles, quite deserved, but the recognition is also due to those women and children who so bravely and calmly bear their role.


Comments

  1. Angela Raven RobertsMarch 12, 2022 at 12:24 PM

    angela ravenrobertsravenroberts

    Mar 11, 2022, 11:22 PM (12 hours ago)


    to me, xUNICEFers

    Thank you, also be aware that there are others e.g in UK, who are ready to help and galvanise support for those needing to come over here. There is also special need to monitor and pay attention to the needs of third country nationals, international students, migrants and their families as well as Afro-Ukrainians and Asian-Ukranians who have also had to flee Ukraine and may be subject to discimmination and protection abuse. Together we can all do something. Thank you and good luck. Angela


    --

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for sharing these messages. The war and destruction in Ukraine are truly intolerable and heartbreaking; but, in stark contrast, this extraordinary wave of solidarity and humanity in Poland and elsewhere give us all an uplifting reason to feel hopeful - hopeful for peace to be a reality in Ukraine and everywhere and for the world to become a place where serenity, respect and human rights are genuinely enjoyed by each and every person.
    All the best
    Marta

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oscar,
    So moving. I hope this is ok to share. So different from what we saw in the Ukraine for Syrian refugees at that train station. Have also donated to UNICEF and to a Romanian relief group that a friend works with.

    Love to you and Susie,

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much Oscar for sending this message from witold. It’s great to hear from an ex unicef colleague who can report from a local’s perspective. As an English woman I am really ashamed of how my government is behaving towards the refugees but believe me that does not reflect the views and indeed actions of the majority of brits. I have of course donated cash and tried to give bedding, blow up mattresses etc, but the collection points have been overwhelmed. There are trucks and vans leaving daily for Poland and other receiving countries.
    Paddy and I are now in Costa Rica having a wonderful time but feeling a bit guilty. We had an overnight in Madrid on the way and as we stood in line for 1+ hrs to get through immigration I kept thinking about those poor women and children waiting for so many more hours in the snow to get across the border.
    I do hope you and Susie are enjoying yourselves in your new home. Stay well. But love to you both Vicky

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Oscar for sharing. This whole situation is heartbreaking. Since this invasion and this senseless war, my mind has literally traveled back to my home country, thinking about what we Afghans went through in April 1979 when the Soviet Union invaded Afghanistan and killed 9% or 1.5 million Afghan children, women and men in the 10 years of occupation. Even in Afghanistan the Red Army was defeated so they forgot about the dream of Lennon to reach the warm waters of Indian Ocean.


    Situation of Afghanistan and Ukraine can not be compared as Ukraine is in the heart of Europe and Afghanistan was a poor country in the heart of Asia.


    I am happy for the Ukrainian people to be evacuated so fast and in orderly manner by trains. I am also happy that the world media is reporting to the world. I have contributed to UNHCR and am a regular contributor to UNICEF on monthly bases. I wish all the best, safety and good health for our UNICEF and our UN colleagues so they can serve the Traumatized refugees and the displaced children and women.

    I look forward to the next Digest.
    All the best. Gulbadan Habibi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very moving! Such an unbelievably harsh situation.
    Thanks for sharing Oscar. Indeed, we do have to each do our part to help! Can’t bear to watch the news anymore. And can’t believe it could get worse!
    Mehr

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please ensure you leave your name, bei either selecting your google account (if you have one), or selecting 'name' from the drop down menu. Enter your name there. If confused, leave your name in the text of your comment.