Skip to main content

Tributes and Farewells to Manou Assadi, RIP





Yoshi Uramoto


Thanks Steve. You have described the Manou I know well.

To me, above all the contribution he made to Unicef and for children, he was a good man! He was kind, considerate and human .... he makes me proud that we worked for Unicef!

Thank you Manou! You can rest in peace now as you have done your work on earth!


Yoshi

Steve Umemoto



Manou is indeed one of us that will long be remembered in the hearts of so many. I first encountered him as UNICEF Representative in Pakistan in the mid 1970s.


He struck me as a forthright and engaging personality ... but that was only a part of who Manou was and what it contributed to the mission of UNICEF. Manou knew and identified fully with the mission of UNICEF. But rather than focus on his own position and career, he seemed to recognize that teamwork and empowered team members was really what it was all about.


Although I never had the good fortune to serve together with Manou in any post, we met occasionally and over the years I have increasingly appreciated his great contribution to UNICEF, particularly in his support, guidance and enouragement of countless colleagues throughout the organization. He facilitated a young planning officer's move from Pakistan to headquarters.


We convinced the organization to welcome back to UNICEF a compatriate who himself had a major impact on the organization's engagement with child rights. The ripples of Manou's vision, mentoring and encouraging will be felt in UNICEF for years to come.



He is greatly missed, but long remembered.

 Steve Umemoto



Jack Ling

My condolences to his family. He was a sterling fighter for children.

Jack



Eimi Watanabe

I join other colleagues in expressing my deep sadness with Manou’s passing. It is comforting to read Habib’s account that he died in peace.

Eimi

Victor Soler-Sala

Dear Victor,


Thank you kindly for your email and reaching out to us. I have forwarded your email to my mother and brother.

Appreciate your kindness.

Best,
Abdi



Dear Manou's family,

We cannot find the words to convey to you our sadness of your painful loss.

We share with you this moment of grief and send our loving empathy and Spanish abrazos to all of you.

Victor and family from Spain




Rohini de Silva

Manou was my first HR director in NY. A highly principled person who did not fear to stand up for just interpretation of the rules while not being bureaucratic. It was a pleasure to work for him. May he have eternal rest.



Rohini de silva


Padmini

so sorry to learn of Manou's passing. I recall with gratitude his backstopping me when I was in Addis going through the traumatic years of conflict and famine. He was then the Director of DoP. We had difficult staff related decisions to be made, not least of all the sudden burgeoning of the numbers from 30 to 100, due to the sudden influx of funds [so many individuals in different countries reacted to TV coverage of the famine, and to BandAid's song, "Do they know it's Christmas"!].

As others have mentioned, I recall too his warm personality and his humanity.

My condolences to all his family.

Niloufar Pourzand

Dear all, as his compatriot, let me add my bit: as an Iranian Unicef staff member, I was particularly proud of him, saw him as a role model and had the good fortunate of meeting him during a couple of his trips to Iran and one as our OIC in the late 80s. He left a lasting impression on me with his professionalism, kindness and spirituality. I remember he spoke about the benefits of yoga, the negative impact of black tea (and would just add a drop to hot water) and we shared in our interest of Pakistan, where I had lived with my Iranian diplomat parents as a child and his friendship with the Bhutto family. We would exchange Nowrouz greetings for some time after his retirement and I would continue to ask about his wellbeing from common friends like dear Shahnaz...until this sad news came our way.

As is written also on my beloved mother’s tombstone in Toronto in Farsi script:

Hargez namirad an ke delash zendeh shod be eshgh.

Never dies he/she whose heart has opened up to love.

May he Rest In Peace, Niloufar


Vandana Agarwal

Very sorry to hear this sad news. May God bless his soul rest in peace. My sincere condolences to his family and friends/ colleagues.
I was fortunate to work with him in 2003 in Madhya Pradesh Bhopal , where he was deployed for three months, everyone was touched by his sensitivity for the welfare of the staff. We all benefitted from his vast experience and guidance.

Vandana




Alan Everest


It is difficult to add to what others have said so well about Manou. To the newcomer to UNICEF he was a reassuring mentor. Subsequently, whatever your omissions or successes, you could be utterly certain of a wise, balanced, and entirely professional response. Every member of staff and every organisation needs such a person. We were so fortunate in that! May he rest in peace!

AlanE


Isabelle Austin

Joining Alan and all....I have great memories of Manou's support and guidance when I met him first as a very junior rookie long long ago!

Rest in Peace, Manou

Isabelle


Scholastica Kimaryo









Schola

Ali Asghar


Very sorry to hear this sad news. May God bless his soul rest in peace. My sincere condolences to his family and friends/colleagues

Ali


Rob Fuderich

I did not know Manou as well as others. I had a trip out to Georgia as a Regional something or other...but we had big problems. I was there and I met with Manou. A retiree who came out to try to resolve a problem. I will never forget our weekend out of Tbilisi...a combination of development tourism (ok, we were tourists) problem solving, humour, wisdom. I feel blessed that I had time to experience his insight and vast understanding of people and the dynamics of UNICEF. May he Rest In Peace and may all of us who knew him take the wisdom he passed on and move it forward.

Rob

Nick Alipui

Dear Friends:


May Manou's memory be kept alive through our experiences of his wonderful human nature and all the lives he touched and inspired inside and outside UNICEF in his time. May He Rest in Eternal Glory.



All best wishes........ Nicholas Alipui M.D.

Mehr Khan-Williams

it is with deep sadness and some shock that I learned about the death of Manou Assadi. While we maintained contact over the years since he retired, I did not know he was seriously ill.

Manou was indeed one of UNICEF’s greats. He had a very strong commitment and passion for UNICEF’s mission and he served as mentor to many of us, his junior colleagues.

I traveled with him to Pakistan with Jim Grant, after Afghan refugees first flooded into Peshawar. The camps in Peshawar were grim but Jim’s energy and compassion was equaled by Manou’s. Only Manou’s also reflected his feelings for the unfolding tragedy, and his deep personal knowledge of Pakistan and of the wider region of which he himself was a part.

He was also a great human being. Very thoughtful and empathetic to everyone including his colleagues and friends. I knew I could count on Manou for support. And he was always there for me. In fact, he was the principal witness when John and I got married and he gently guided everyone, including the Mullah, on some aspects of the ceremony.

He was deeply spiritual and philosophical about life, introducing me among others to the work, philosophy and life of J. Krishnamurti, which I have benefited from.

He was a good friend. He will be deeply missed.
Mehr

Karin Sham Poo

I saw this sad news yesterday. Thanks for attaching the beautiful tributes. Manou and I did not work together long like you, Fouad and many others, but we became very close the few years we did. When I became the Deputy Executive Director in 1987, Personnel Division (which became the Division of Human Resources) was one of the many areas reporting to me. Under Manou’s very able leadership many Human Resources polices were developed and/or changed in so many constructive and positive ways, never forgetting that the vast majority of UNICEF staff were in the field.
My thoughts and prayers go to his wife, sons and the rest of the family.
Warm regards
Karin


Sona Lakhanpal



Truly sorry to hear this very sad news. I very much enjoyed working with Mr. Assadi. May he Rest in Peace.

Kind regards to all

Sona/Ajay


Rudolf Hoffmann

So sorry to read these sad news.

I remember the days when we met with Manou and I can confirm that his style of management as Director of Programme as well as Director of DOP was exemplary....keeping promises, insisting on justice and defending those who lived up to the values of the organisation. Very much missing his analysis, friendship and jokes.

Kindly share these lines with his family.

Rudolf

Shamsul Farooq

So deeply saddened with the news of Manou's death- real loss of another Unicef "great".

Though I did not work with Manou in any specic duty stations, our path crossed quite regularly. I had the fortune of meeting him and interacting with him on numerous occasions. So deeply touched by his true professionalism and humanity with great sense of humour.

You and Fouad portrayed personal reflections on Manou's personality touching on various aspects of his life which are so true. He will be dearly missed by us all.

May God rest him in eternal peace. Our thoughts and prayers also go out to the grieving family.


Shamsul


Basim Kawash

Very sad indeed. RIP

Warmest

Basim


Shahnaz Kianian
This is an awful news! My heart is broken and I can’t believe he is gone. I did not know he was seriously ill.


Shahida Azfar


I too am deeply shocked and grieved to know that we have lost Manou. I too had no idea that he had any serious illness and had not been in touch with for a while . When I asked him to join our reunions he mentioned the problems with his knees .
I too will look for photos and write about him ! May he rest in eternal peace
Shahida


Shahnaz Kianian


Manou was larger than life with big presence in every sense of the word. He was a wonderful human being, full of life, courage and generosity. He lived by his principles and fought for what he believed in. He left a mark wherever he worked and touched many lives. He was a true UNICEF giant!


I will look to see if I find any pictures of him or articles. And I will write longer about him.


Right now i am terribly shocked and mourn the passing away of a wonderful colleague, mentor and friend whom I respected and admired. A light has gone out of my life!


I am also copying Joseph Acar and Shahida Azfar, both his close friends.


May he rest in eternal peace,
Respectfully,
Shahnaz




Mandeep O'Brien
I am very sorry to hear this sad news.


My sincere condolences to you, Habib and to the entire UNICEF family on this huge loss.


I also received a message from Hannan and Saad. I just got in touch with Reza Hosseini. We both spoke to Mr. Assadi’s wife Farideh.


Alas I am flying out to Turkey in a few hours for a UNCT retreat. But my Deputy Gilles and Ops Manager Sana will kindly represent UNICEF at the funeral tomorrow, along with Reza.


I hope you are well.


With my heartfelt condolences,
Mandeep


Anthony Kennedy


I am floored. I did not know of Manou’s death.



Manou was the UNICEF Representative in Pakistan when I moved from working on issues of children in slums and squatter settlements from headquarters to being a genuine UNICEF field person. We quickly became friends and that friendship became ever closer over my years with UNICEF. A superb member of UNICEF, Manou gave me excellent advice on a great many occasions during 25 years.




Umberto Cancellieri

My thoughts go to Manou Assadi. A great leader who contributed a lot to our organisation. RIP Manou and than you.


Umberto



Gianni Murzi

I’m terribly sorry for the passing away of Manou Assadi. I met him in the late 80’s when I was with the Italian government. Manou interviewed me when Mr Grant asked me to join UNICEF in 1988.


RIP


Best regards, Gianni




Niloufar Pourzand

Oh very sad news about Mr. Assadi! He was a wonderful person and senior colleagu




Sandra Haji-Ahmed

Thank you very much for informing us of the very sad news of Manou's passing. He was a real leader who had a human touch. He will be missed by all. I have reached out to his son with a message of condolence.
Warm regards,
Sandra





James Mayrides


Manou was indeed one of our UNICEF Giants. I had the pleasure of working with him closely while in HQ Africa Section during the early 1980's. He was very approachable and very easy to work under. Very intelligent and knowledgeable about our work. He was a fair boss, gentle but firm and always willing to help everyone. I can only mirror the note provided by Fuad Kronfol.


I was coaching my sons in little league baseball in Pennsylvania. Manou allowed me to leave an hour early twice a week to get an earlier train to be able to coach. When I reached 8 hours of early departures, I deducted a day of annual leave. He was generous to everyone and managed all of the division very well. He was always extremely supportive.


In 1984 I transferred to Nairobi as DRD. Manou provided so much clarity and support to the ESARO region as Director of Personnel. We had an excellent, but tough corps of Reps in the region and I often found myself in the middle between his office and theirs. Manou made all of our tasks much easier. He had a tough but gentle way of negotiating and was always so supportive. We often ended up with a decision that neither end was fully agreeable with; but it was always a workable, and possibly a Solomonic approach. However, we never did end up with half a baby, thanks to his patience and good nature and professional/human approach.


After retirement, we often met in the original "wawig" reunions (pre-XUNICEF). Also, I spent a wonderful weekend at his home in Maryland with David Haxton and Shob Jhie, where his culinary arts were in evidence. The story-telling that weekend was epic.


In 1987, I was called often in Nairobi at 2:00 AM on a Saturday. Probably, someone at a late Friday meeting asked a question about the region and was told to call Mayrides. The time difference of 8 hours never figured into the discussion. Thus bothered, I sent a telex to HQ suggesting 3 criteria for 2:00 AM calls. 1) I had perished and was being informed of my death benefits; 2) I was fired; 3) I was promoted. Manou's unique sense of humor enabled him to call me one Saturday morning at 2:00 AM. He seemed to grin over the phone line as he told me that he had met one of my criteria. I was to be appointed Representative to Bolivia where I spent 5 wonderful years. He retired shortly after, but the time I spent working with him and being his friend,is priceless!


He will be missed and I join many in grieving at his departure while rejoicing with his life and his contribution to the children of the world. Rest in peace dear friend, safari salama, buen viaje, bon voyage.


Jim Mayrides
Thorndale, Pa.














Carlos Santos-Tejada
I would say that Manou’s tenure particularly at DHR could be labeled as “Human Resources with a human face”
RIP








Samuel Frederick


Dear Habib , Fuad et al
So sad to hear of the passing of Manou . I served indirectly under Manou’s leadership when he was Director of DoP . He was a frank and straightforward person imbued with wisdom ,integrity and empathy. A big loss to the ex UNICEF fraternity . My thoughts and prayers are with the family at this difficult time .
May the Almighty rest his soul in eternal peace.

Comments