Skip to main content

Mehr Khan: Manou


it is with deep sadness and some shock that I learned about the death of Manou Assadi. While we maintained contact over the years since he retired, I did not know he was seriously ill.

Manou was indeed one of UNICEF’s greats. He had a very strong commitment and passion for UNICEF’s mission and he served as mentor to many of us, his junior colleagues.

I traveled with him to Pakistan with Jim Grant, after Afghan refugees first  flooded into Peshawar. The camps in Peshawar were grim but Jim’s energy and compassion was equaled by Manou’s. Only Manou’s also reflected his feelings for the unfolding tragedy, and  his deep personal knowledge of Pakistan and of the wider region of which he himself was a part.

He was also a great human being. Very thoughtful and empathetic to everyone including his  colleagues and friends. I knew I could count on Manou for support. And he was always there for me. In fact, he was the principal witness when John and I got married and he gently guided everyone, including the Mullah, on some aspects of the  ceremony.

He was deeply spiritual and philosophical about life, introducing me among others to the work, philosophy and life of  J. Krishnamurti, which I have benefitted from.

He was a good friend. He will be deeply missed.
Mehr

Comments