Skip to main content

Our kids are not happy : Sopan Deb / NY Tiimes

Mapping the 2024 World Happiness Report
Click here 

Article shared by John Gilmartin

I'm sure the Gallup folks mean well. The UN, I'm not so sure about.

America, we're sinking in the happiness polls.

When they sift the geezers from the kids, our kids are miserable. Our kids now rank 62.

I used to ride a lot of airplanes. I could tell if the flight was filling with Americans by the noise level. If it was full of American soccer players returning home, I could count on eight hours of non stop chatter.

As a grand dad I'm concerned how my grandsons are coping.

I'm reminded that Denmark used to win this prize year after year during the time we lived there. My Danes hated being told they just won the world happiness rating. This was in a beautiful office that paid all of our staff very well, gave every benefit imaginable, and whose purpose in work was helping the world's children.

The Danes felt these so-called studies did not take them seriously.

The happiest people I worked with were Mexicans working in a mediocre pharmaceutical plant in Naucalpan, Mex DF. (A sort of Bronx to NYC). They worked very hard, rejoiced at any good thing that came along, sang a great deal, and loved to eat together.

By our standards, they had no money, no healthcare, no police protection, a corrupt government, wretched traffic, wretched air and water, and wretched schools. They had me for a year supervising about two hundred in this plant, and they treated me like a prince. My Spanish went from absurd to somewhat ok by the year end, and they celebrated every new verb or tense they heard me use correctly. I never supervised a better group of people.

My Danes? Many of them were great. Some of them were in permanent funk.
John Gilmartin  

Click here for the article in the NY Times

Excerpt:
"But this was the first time that the consortium separated results by age, finding disparities in the views of younger and older Americans. Among the 143 countries surveyed, the United States ranked 10th for people 60 and older, but 62nd for people under 30. The happiest young people are in Lithuania, while the unhappiest are in Afghanistan.

Comments

  1. The article before shows how children are surviving more than ever, but here we are told that the majority around the world seem to be UNHAPPY...so we have a conundrum here; kids live more than before BUT they are NOT HAPPY ! Should the UN have a new Agency to make children happy, or should UNICEF set up a new DIvision for Furthering Child Happiness???

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

If you are a member of XUNICEF, you can comment directly on a post. Or, send your comments to us at xunicef.news.views@gmail.com and we will publish them for you.