Skip to main content

Connections by Myra Rudin

 Editor's Note. Myra Rudin has a vast collection of candid street photos. What I like most is the skilful framing and the story that each frame is telling us. This is what Myra has to say: 

In my last submission to the Newsletter, I presented photos representing people, some happy, some not so much, at their workday jobs, entitled “The Daily Grind”.  Here, in comparison, these photos show people at leisure, alone or with others, having a connection with a friend, family, their pet, or with nature.

People around the world often have the same rituals for leisure time – a coffee with a friend, a walk in the park, or reading under a tree.  Children have no problem finding fun – sailing a boat, playing with a ball, or even old tires.  

I call these photos “Connections” in six chapters, “A Family Affair”, “I Love My Pet”, “That’s What Friends are For”, “Alone But Still Connecting”, “Child’s Play”, “Romantic Connections”. 

Enjoy!

“A Family Affair”
It's always nice to capture family members having fun in various ways, be it at the beach, in a park or sharing a wonderful meal together. Of course, there might be a few tears here and there....

A family affair

A happy trio

A stroll

Always a comfort

It is okay

Ocean Fun
“I Love My Pet”
Anyone with a pet knows the strong connection between animal and human. NYC dogs, so revered, are also usually included in the annual festive Easter parade, outfitted with all sorts of Easter (and other) costumes.
Connections x 2

Man's best friend

My Easter bunny

The eyes have it ...
“That’s What Friends are For”
I seem to find that men like to connect in groups more often than women. They usually go to the local bar or central plaza bench and spend time talking about the happenings in their town. One of my favorite photos below is of the men in hats and jackets just sitting casually by a corner wall. It was taken in France many years ago and obviously shows how dress norms have changed through the years! I love the fact that they were "dressed up" for no particular occasion and I was thrilled that they allowed me a photo.

The black and white photo is also from France taken in 1984 (thus not great quality). I remember watching the two women who seemed to really enjoy being together and chatting the time away.

A little mischief

Chat time
Hat and coat mandatory

It's pink day

Lean on me...

Old friends

We are the best...

You don't say!!!
“Alone But Still Connecting”
Many folks don't mind being alone since they are still connecting-through meditation, spiritualism, or just with nature. Sometimes it's just to "get away", or " take a break" or just to be alone!

A path to himself

Alone at last

Cold contemplation

Love a good book

Spiritual connection

“Child’s Play”
Children never need an excuse to have fun. Either together with friends, or alone, they seem to find a way to spend a few minutes (or hours) in their own world.

Catch!

My guest today!

Never getting 'tired'

Pirate for the day!

Traditions

Yay!!
"Romantic Connections”
Both in NYC and Paris, where all of these photos were taken, there is no shortage of opportunities to catch people in "their moment".  Couples stop traffic to take selfies, others hide behind a tree, but, as a roving photographer, they can't always escape my camera!  (I haven't included any "delicate" pix for fear of getting caught...)

Happy connections!

Seeing eye to eye

The look of love

Two by the Seine

In a purple haze

A proposal

Always 'handy'

No better connection

You can reach Myra Rudin at myrarudin@hotmail.com
Click below to see some of Myra's contributions to XUNICEF Digest.

Comments

  1. MR MICHAEL CORBETTJuly 29, 2023 at 4:42 PM

    Hi Myra...thanks for the lovely photos which are so well done,,,best Mike

    ReplyDelete
  2. A clarification on the photo "My Easter Bunny" -- I don't own a dog, and the woman was a stranger!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your style, Myra! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoyed going through the pictures and the grouping done!
    Thanks 😊

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nicely composed photos Myra.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well composed with excellent captions and gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
  7. Myra, you really MUST come to the Toronto XUNICEF Reunion. I will personally nominate you to be the "official photographer" of the Event, and together we can prepare a write-up for the Newsletter..How about it ?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fouad, thank you for your trust in my photographic ability; however, I believe the Toronto reunion is in October? I already have a trip planned then to Vietnam. I'll be happy to document that trip in a future Newsletter. Cheers -- Myra

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fouad , thank you for your trust in my photographic abilities... the Toronto reunion is in October? I already have a trip planned then to Vietnam. Hoping to document that trip in a future Newsletter. Maybe soon a Retiree Reunion in Paris? Cheers, Myra

    ReplyDelete

  10. The Reunion is from 25-30 August in Toronto, so you have the time to attend it before your trip to Viet Nam.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

If you are a member of XUNICEF, you can comment directly on a post. Or, send your comments to us at xunicef.news.views@gmail.com and we will publish them for you.