Skip to main content

Einar Syvertsen, RIP : Sad news received from Guy Scandlen

 

Editor's Note: We are looking for photos of Einar.  If you have one, please share with us.  

Dear Friends:

Khun Tao, Einar's wife (formal name: Boontharika) called us early this morning to inform that Einar passed away yesterday (31 January) at 16:00 hours.

The funeral (cremation) will be this Saturday, 6 February in Suphanburi, where they live.  

He had started to deteriorate from both Alzheimer's disease and Parkinsonian dementia four years ago, complicated by brain and lung conditions.  Over the last few days he was unable to swallow or take any food or liquids.  She and her family have been taking care of him during this period.  

I have written to some of you that they best way she could communicate with Einar at the end, was to tell him "Einar, the UNICEF car has come to pick you up."  Then he would become alert and she could bathe him and dress him.  

Khun Tao mentioned that, since COVID 19 began, doctors have been coming to the house regularly and she has been very grateful for their care.

Their son is in London, which is why I am copying Steve in this e-mail, and I will ask her for his address.  He will not be able to come for the funeral.  I will write to him, as well.

Maria and I will be making a contribution to the funeral expenses (this is the custom in Thailand) when Khun Tao forwards to us the bank account number.   

She doesn't have an e-mail account.  She has a LINE address - which is what most people use in Thailand.

She does have a telephone number.  66 82-334-2800  (if you are calling from Thailand it would be 082-334-2800

But if you would like to write condolences, their mailing address is:

11/2 Nungsoifa Road
Tambol Thapeeliang
Amphur Muang
Suphanburi 7200,
Thailand

I am sorry to have to communicate this sad news, but I thought you might like to
know.

Kindest Regards
Guy

Comments

  1. I am so very sad to hear that Einar has left us. I have many memories of travelling with him and working with him, enjoying his dedication to UNICEF, and his sense of humour.
    My sincere condolences to all the family.
    We have lost a good friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Mr. Scandlen
    It is indeed a sad news! My association with Mr. Syvertsen goes back few decades when I got transferred from Dhaka to Unicef Delhi in 1991. Mr. Syvertsen was the Chief of supply section and my direct supervisor. We have had many good memories and achievements to be proud of! Having exposed to international arena, Mr. Syvertsen’s advice, guidance and leadership shaped my future in supply operations. Our paths crossed again in 2005 when he visited Kabul on a short consultancy.
    A legendary supply chief will be sorely missed. My condolences to his family.

    sharif alam, NY

    PS - You had mentioned about contribution to funeral. Am I allowed to contribute if I want to?? If affirmative, shall appreciate receiving bank transfer details to:

    sharif.unicef@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its indeed a very sad news. I am Neets Soorma and worked with him as his Ex Asstt when was our Chief of Supply New Delhi. Such a calm, pleasant, happy and collected gentleman. We call it as our Golden Period. Mr. Syvertsen and Keith Alexander together were the life of our Workshops. Never did he raise his voice at anyone nor was he a nagger. Very understanding snd respected the values and culture. I have been writing to him but didnt get any response. Tried my best to find out about his address. Never knew he had alzheimers, Parkinson's. May he rest in peace and may God give Tao and the family the courage to bear this great loss. Thanks for sharing Tao s address. Will write to her. I do have some pictures which I would like to share . Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Truly sad news. Einar was an unassuming, no-nonsense supply professional who was always ready to support and help others. For me he was a dear friend and mentor I could count on.
    When I met him and Tao last time four years ago in Bangkok, Einar was still asking if I was aware of any suitable assignment for him. His desire to serve UNICEF supply function knew no age limit.
    My condolences to Tao, Philip and Einar's daughters.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very saddened to hear that Einer Syvertsen is no longer with us.Our deepest condolences to the family members. May the departed soul rest in peace.

    Regards. Narendra Shrestha

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

If you are a member of XUNICEF, you can comment directly on a post. Or, send your comments to us at xunicef.news.views@gmail.com and we will publish them for you.